Friday, April 24, 2009

Too early to potty train?... maybe not!

My sister-in-law let me borrow her book 'The Baby Whisper' and I skipped straight to the part on potty trainging. She has very unique recomendations. I thought you were suposed to potty-train a child between 2-3 yrs. old. Well this is true in the U.S. where most children complete potty training between 36-48 months but this is very different from the rest of the world. In fact world-wide over 50% of children are toilet trained by one year and 80% between 12-18 months! That was shocking to me! Well her recomendation is to start at 9 months ... sound crazy? I kind of thought so too but we decided to try it anyways. We bought Boston one of those small toilet seats that just attatches to your regular toilet and this afternoon we started.

When he woke up from his morning nap I sat him on the toilet. He got so excited and started peeing and then started claping for himself! Haha!! I couldn't believe it! I had been so doubtful he would do anything so I totally wasn't prepared and it got everywhere! A coincidence?... probably?!

Then about 3 hours later before I layed him down for his aafternoon nap I sat him on the toilet again. This time he didn't pee but he farted and it seemed like he was trying to push something out but nothing happened. Oh well.

When he woke up from his afternoon nap I sat him on the toilet again and low and behold he started peeing. This time I was prepared!

I still can't believe it though. Is he really making a connection or is this all just a crazy coincidence?... I guess time will tell.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I bet he looks so cute sitting "on the throne"! I think that at that young age it's more like "toilet timing" than toilet training as they are too young to have physical control over bowel and bladder, but there's nothing wrong with that if you're prepared to put him on at the appropriate times. You'll come to recognise his schedule and signals. However, I doubt that he would be able to "hold it in" until you get there, or let you know he needs to go - but then again, it's not like he could take himself to the loo so it's not an issue!

Courtney said...

I have read a lot of stuff on this too and agree with the first comment made. Give us all an update after a month or so- it will be interesting to hear how it goes.

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

That's cool! We tried to potty train Noah when he was 18 months old. We thought he was ready because he would tell us when he had to go and then he would go in his diaper.
Needless to say, his bladder wasn't fully developed yet and he would say he had to go and couldn't hold it even for a second! So our pediatrician said, he may be ready for potty training in his mind, but his bladder just wasn't ready.
So we waited and then just took his diapers off when he was 2, and it was a breeze!
My advice, if he wants to go on the potty, that's great! It'll give him some early training. But if it's just not happening for reason's that you can't control, just wait! With that said, I have a friend who potty trained her baby at 14 months, it was crazy! Poop and all!

Alys said...

I think it is great that you are trying this early. There is a girl in my ward that had all of her kids potty trained by 18 months. Diapers are expensive, so I think that is reason enough to try early.

Summer said...

Too bad that sister in-law's daughter will end up being potty trained AFTER her handsome cousin who is a whole 18 months younger. :) I am so happy to hear that you are having such a positive experience so far!