This post is especially for my friends who are new moms or soon to be moms but all could benefit from this information so I encourage you to read-on even if you aren't a mom. I hear so many horror stories about breastfeeding and if you've had a bad experience I really hope this information might help you.
This was in response to a question one of my friends asked me. She is recovering from her 4th breast infection... poor girl!! She was wondering how she got an infection WHILE taking antibiotics ...
Probiotics are bacteria that help maintain natural balance in our bodies. Our bodies contain hundreds of different types of probiotic bacteria that reduce the growth of harmful bacteria in our bodies and promote health. Antibiotics kill "good" (beneficial) bacteria along with the bacteria that causes illness. A decrease in beneficial bacteria will leave someone more susceptible to the development of other infections.
Taking probiotic supplements (as capsules, powder, or liquid extract) will help replace the lost beneficial bacteria and thus help prevent further infections. The most common type of probiotic you hear about is acidophilus ... naturaly found in yogurt, and you can get it in supplement form at any health food store. I started taking it hours after Boston was born to prevent getting breast infections. I also take it day-to-day to prevent getting sick. I recommend them for anyone post delivery because they will help you have a fast recovery. You should definetly take them if you are coming off of being on any type of antibiotics! Let me know if you have any other questions about them. I'm sorry you haven't heard of them until now.
Sunday, March 15, 2009
PROBIOTICS... I swear by them!
Posted by Natasha at 8:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks Natasha for the information! I will definitely go and find these probiotics you are talking about. Funny, my mom had actually heard of the popular one you mentioned in yogurt and acidipholus or whatever you call it...so I will try it. Obviously it can only do more good than harm, so why not? Thanks for the answer in such a knowledegable way.
You are full of helpful information... you should start a weekly blog post on thing expectant mothers should know! I'm being serious!! Love ya!!
Probiotics were wonderful in helping Eric's colic! It took a few weeks to get into his system but once it did..wow! His colic wasn't healed but he didn't cry as much. It was a life saver and I would recommend those drops to any mother who has a colicky baby!!
Post a Comment