I'm reading the best book. I picked it up yesterday and haven't been able to put it down. I've always been fascinated with autoimmune diseases and their increasing prevelance in the U.S. Why would our own immune system which was designed to protect us from foreign invaders turn on itself and start attacking our bodies own tissues?... 
I have 3 people just in my immediate family with different autoimmune diseases ... that's almost 1/4 of my family members so I wasn't suprised to learn that 25% of people have a genetic predisposition to autoimmune diseases. I was suprised to learn though that only 30% is genetic and 70% is environmental! I guess that should be great news since so many of us are genetically susceptable but is it really great news when the very environmental toxins that can trigger our immune systems into a downward spiral bombard our everyday lives?!
I was stunned to read the studies they've been doing on breast milk... they've been finding alarmingly high concentration of harmful chemicals, such as DDT, (which was banned years ago) in breatmilk!... so if it was banned how is it still ending up in our breastmilk?... because it's still in the air we breath, the soil, and therefor our produce, and it has even worked its way up the food chain and is now in the animal products we consume. (*Just a side note: I still think breastmilk is the best thing you can give to your baby!)
I could go on and on but I would just encourage you to read the book because it provides practical advice on what you can do to protect yourself and your family!... especially if you already have an autoimmune disease or they run in your family. This book was published just a few months ago so it has all the latest breakthrough research regarding autoimmunity and toxicology.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
A great read!...
Posted by Natasha at 1:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have a friend who could use that book...very insightful! Thanks for the post.
May I ask what are probiotics and what do they do? Where do you get them? How did they help you? I have never heard of them before. :D
Post a Comment